Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Are you guilty of Success Hopping?

by Michelle Hill-Smith

Remember back in the day, when you'd go to a nightclub and end up visiting at least 3 more by the end of night? Yep, you got it! Club Hopping! A simple way to describe it is when you go from club to club in search of a better experience than the last. When my sisters and I would prepare to go to the nightclub that evening, our goal was to remain in the club we set out for. We didn't have enough money back then to go from place to place. Not to mention, all the gas, time and energy we'd spend to do so. Often times, with club hopping, you can never seem to have genuine fun. At the end of the night, you almost feel cheated and incomplete.

The same is true with many aspiring entrepreneurs and business owners. One idea is created, molded and implemented.Once success is realized, it's time to move on to something bigger because so and so is doing great with it. How many times have you done this in your business journey? I can honestly say that I am VERY guilty of this very thing. Since 2001 I've actually started and sometimes operated a Dance Company, Dance Studio, Fit Club, Natural Soap Making Company, and God knows what else. I guess my excuse was that I just wanted to be successful at something. 

I believe the question is “What’s the hold up?” Sometimes, our destination for success is held up by our own fears. You plan and plan for months to no avail. I, personally felt as if I was my own obstacle. My business ideas were very thorough, well-thought out from start to finish. However, I constantly experienced one to two variations of the same problems. One, I would get so excited about my new venture. I knew that that would be it. It was the one. I’d plan it out for several months. Write every detail out and even create the logo and website for it. Then, within a matter of time, I’d began thinking of something else after seeing the success of another.  I’d begin jotting down ideas to create something else. Two, I’d revisit one of my once exciting new venture ideas that was on the verge of being launched and begin revamping that idea in hopes of it being the one. 

Whew! What a delusional cycle I was creating for myself. The madness had to stop.
In short, I realized that if I had the guts to stick it out with the one best idea or system I’d grown accustomed to running for a while, chances were, I’d probably be on my way to creating that empire I longed for successfully. I had to stop chasing success and start creating success. 

There’s only one reason to stall in going forward with your business venture. The simple cause is a LACK OF READINESS. Moving forward without really examining your idea and operations from start to finish will result in failure in the long run.


You see, often times we allow our dreams to remain just that, a dream. I learned that if I thoroughly examined what it was that made me happy and execute a plan to create a stable, yet fulfilling life from it, I achieved my dream...on my own terms.


TIME TO DECIDE. GET RID OF OBSTACLES. TIME TO EXECUTE.




2 comments:

  1. Guilty as charged! A dream will remain just that until you make a move to follow it. Thanks Michelle! Follow your dreams - success hopping stops now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! That's right. Now join my blog. I was just telling Terry that Dap will join when she sees the post. LOL!

      Delete

Feel free to comment and let me know your thoughts on this subject matter!

Search This Blog